PRP or Platelet Rich Plasma is simply blood plasma, rich in platelets. Human blood consists of plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. The role of platelets is to aid blood clotting in the event of an injury. However, platelets also contain hundreds of granules of growth factors and cytokines that help in healing. Many growth factors contained in these granules aid building new connective tissue, creating new blood vessels, other calling other cells that help healing, and reducing inflammation.
PRP is created by centrifuging or spinning a sample of your own blood to get concentrated platelets (3-5 times that present in blood) in a small volume. This concentrated plasma or PRP is a powerful healing product with multiple growth factors and cytokines.
PRP has been used to help healing of various orthopedic injuries, especially –
- chronic tendon injuries, for example, tennis elbow
- acute soft tissue injuries, for example hamstring tears
- surgical augmentation
Benefits of PRP Therapy
3 biggest benefits of PRP therapy are –
- PRP comes from your own body and uses your body’s own natural healing ability for healing and pain relief
- PRP can be administered with an injection under ultrasound or fluoroscopic guidance
- PRP has the potential to return you to activity in a short time without surgery. This is beneficial in terms of not only shortened recovery, but also in terms of avoiding the high costs of surgery and missed time off work.
To learn more about regenerative medicine treatments, such as PRP therapy in Gilbert, AZ, call OSPI Arizona at 480-899-4333. OSPI’s Board Certified orthopedic surgeons have extensive experience and expertise in sports medicine, general orthopedics and joint replacement surgery.